Sunday, October 3, 2010

Stippling

If your wondering what the heck that word means, its actually a technique in art used to shade parts of artwork. I works mostly using a ink pen, preferably a liquid ink one, and you use tiny little dots over and over to make a light to dark transition. It takes a massive amount of time to just finish one little space on the paper, but it comes out looking just amazing. I'm currently working on my own stippling masterpiece. I've gotten many compliments on it so far, but I still have a little ways to go. When I finish, ill be sure to post a picture of it on here for everyone to see. The way I learned this technique was in my art class in school. We started a project that involved cubism. Which is a style of artwork pioneered by Pablo Picasso and George Barque. In cubist artworks objects are broken up, analyzed, and re-assembled in an abstract form-instead of depicting objects from one viewpoint, the artist depicts the subject from the multitude of viewpoints to represent the subject in a greater context. In my project in class, I had to pick an object from home, any object. I picked a silly silly bobble head turtle that was sitting on my desk for fun. I then had to draw it on 3 sheets of paper from three different angles using only contour lines, which are the visible lines that you can see, no shading. After I did that, I would choose one of the drawings and take the two others and trace them onto that 1 drawing to make them overlap. With that being done, the drawing should've created a cubist look with different objects overlapping to create new shapes and perspectives. The final process is to stipple every little detail on the page to make it fool the eye like a cubist drawing would. I'm also still working on this masterpiece in class and will post a picture of it on here as well. Thank you for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment